From July 2016 until the company's shutdown in June 2017, I worked as a gameplay engineer and designer at castAR's Salt Lake City division. The studio (at first consisting of former Avalanche employees) was founded to develop games for the company's planned augmented reality platform. My team at castAR worked on The Video Game Show, a party game set to launch with their system. Here, my responsibilities included:
- Overseeing the design on three minigames intended to highlight different forms of AR interaction.
- Designing and implementing minigame features, levels, events, AI, and spawning behaviors in Unity.
- Creating and implementing system used to rate and reward players based on performance.
- Collaborating with artists to define and integrate needed VFX, animations, and 3D models
- Working with engineers to solve technical problems and optimize game for platform hardware.
Between October 2015 and May 2016, I worked as a game design intern at Disney Interactive's Avalanche Software. Here, my primary responsibility was designing playable characters for Disney Infinity 3.0, including Baloo and three unreleased avatars. My responsibilities as a designer included:
- Designing and iterating upon character movesets.
- Implementing and fine-tuning avatar combat abilities using visual scripting interface.
- Tuning attack reactions, damage values, and skill tree progression.
- Collaborating with animators and FX artists to ensure optimal visual representation of abilities.
- Working with programmers to implement and tune special abilities.